Monday, January 29, 2024

Frozen

 The sky was a deep, enigmatic blue, unmarred by a single cloud. Birds twittered merrily in the distance, their songs carrying on the gentle breeze. The sun beat down relentlessly, its rays reflecting off the pristine white snow that carpeted the ground. It was a perfect winter's day, one that could have been pulled straight from a postcard. Yet, something felt...off. A chill danced across my skin, refusing to be dispelled by the warmth of the sun. I shivered, wrapping my arms tightly around myself as I walked through the small village.


The buildings were all made of wood, their doors and windows painted in cheerful hues that clashed with the sterile whiteness of the landscape. The villagers went about their daily routines, their laughter and chatter filling the air with a false sense of normalcy. But I could see it in their eyes, the fear that lurked just beneath the surface. Fear of what might come, of what they knew was inevitable.


I trudged through the snow, my breath forming little white clouds in front of me. My thoughts drifted back to the moment when it all began. The day the world had changed forever. The day the ice had come.


I stopped in front of a small cottage, its shutters closed tight against the cold. I rapped my knuckles against the wooden door, hesitating for a moment before pushing it open. Inside, the warmth of a fireplace enveloped me, chasing away the last of the chill. An elderly woman sat by the hearth, her knitting needles clicking rhythmically.


"Ah, Elara. It's good to see you again. Please, come in." Her voice was soft and gentle, but there was a weariness to it that I couldn't ignore. I sat down across from her, our knees almost touching.


"How are you holding up?" I asked, my voice low.


She sighed, her shoulders slumping. "As well as can be expected, dear. We've done all that we can to prepare. Now, it's just a matter of waiting." Her eyes met mine, full of wisdom and sadness. "You must be strong, Elara. For all of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact
emilyroubini1950@gmail.com

Please visit my new website!

  https://emilyroubini1950.myportfolio.com