Sunday, April 28, 2024

 The cold, damp air of the night pressed against my face as I stood before the ancient map, its creases softened by years of careful handling. I traced the faded lines with my finger, feeling a shiver run down my spine as I contemplated the mysteries that lay hidden beyond the edges of the parchment. The faint, candlelit glow illuminated the dusty room, casting long shadows across the worn wooden table and the stacks of crumbling leather-bound books that lined the walls. I glanced up, meeting the expectant gaze of the elderly woman who had brought me here. Her wrinkled face held a mix of anticipation and apprehension, as if she were not entirely sure what she would find at the end of this journey.


As if in answer to an unspoken question, I turned to face her, my voice barely above a whisper. "I think it's time." She nodded, a solemn expression crossing her weathered features. "Good," she replied, her voice cracking slightly with emotion. "You're certain?" I hesitated for a moment, taking a deep breath as I considered the enormity of what lay ahead. "As certain as I can be," I answered, mustering a confidence I didn't entirely feel.


The old woman reached out and took my hand in hers, her grip surprisingly strong for one so frail. "Then follow me," she said, leading me through a hidden door in the back of the room. As we descended a winding staircase, the air grew colder and more oppressive, as if the very earth itself were holding its breath. At last, we emerged into a vast underground chamber, its walls adorned with strange symbols and glowing crystals that cast an eerie light across the chamber. In the center of the room stood a massive archway, carved from black obsidian, its surface veined with threads of silver and gold.


"This," the old woman whispered, her voice trembling with reverence, "is the passage."


I felt a thrill of excitement and trepidation course through me as I took in the immense scale of the chamber. Despite the chill that seemed to seep into my bones, I could not help but marvel at the beauty and mystery that surrounded us. "What lies beyond?" I asked, my voice barely audible over the sound of my racing heart. "And what must we do to reach it?" The old woman smiled, her wrinkled face taking on a newfound serenity. "That, my dear," she said, placing a gnarled hand on my shoulder, "is for you to discover."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact
emilyroubini1950@gmail.com

Please visit my new website!

  https://emilyroubini1950.myportfolio.com